With an abundance of summer squash, one of my favorite snacks to make is zucchini bread or muffins. They freeze well for an easy future snack!
Summer Squash Muffins
makes 24 muffins
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ cups white whole wheat flour
¾ cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 cup sugar
½ cup mild oil of your choice
½ cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups shredded summer squash with moisture squeezed out
½ - 1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (sunflower seeds, walnuts, pecans)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two twelve cup muffin pans or line with muffin cups.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredient to the wet ones and mix. Add shredded zucchini and any other optional ingredients, mix until just combined.
3. Scoop the batter in equal portions in the muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 mins until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 mins then remove from pan to finish cooling.
Cook’s notes and variations:
- Instead of 24 muffins you can make bread by using two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans. Bake the loaves for 50-60 mins until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool the loaves in the pan for 10 mins then remove from pan to cool completely.
- I never have buttermilk on hand and instead for this recipe use ½ cup half and half (or milk) with a ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Let the mixture stand until the dairy curdles then use in the recipe.