Summer Squash Blondies Recipe
makes 4 dozen small bars
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup quick cooking oats
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups shredded summer squash with moisture squeezed out
½ - 1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (sunflower seeds, walnuts, pecans)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Line 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper or grease pan.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a small bowl. Separately in a larger bowl cream the butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add one egg at a time and mix well after each one, then add vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture. Finally mix in the shredded zucchini and nuts or chocolate chips if using.
3. Spread batter in pan. Bake for 25 – 30 mins or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Top should be a golden brown, wait until cool to cut into bars.
Cook’s Notes and Variations:
- The summer squash varieties used in this recipe were Costata Romenesco and Ronde de Nice. You can easily substitute shredded zucchini or any other summer squash.
- Increase the ½ cup quick cooking oats to 1 cup, reduce sugars to ½ cup each and add nuts but no chocolate chips for a slightly “healthier” version.
- Instead of bars, make drop cookies this recipe should make about 5 dozen drop cookies.
Adapted from the Original Nestle Tool House Mini Morsel Cookies recipe