Hot Pepper Jelly Recipe
makes about 3 ½ pints of jelly
12 oz spicy peppers or a mix of sweet and spicy peppers for less heat
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 3-oz pouches of liquid pectin
7 half pint sterilized canning jars
1. Wash and trim peppers, wear gloves while seeding the spicy peppers. Puree peppers in food processor or blender with 1 cup vinegar (either white or cider) until there are no big chunks.
2. Pour pepper and cider mixture into a medium size pot with sugar and second cup of vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil, keep at low boil for 10 minutes and stir frequently.
3. Finally add the contents of the 2 liquid pectin packets, stir and bring mixture back to a boil. Keep contents at a hard boil for 1 minute stirring frequently so the jelly will set.
4. Funnel jelly into the glass jars and let cool before storing in the refrigerator.
Cook's notes & variations:
- The green jelly from fish & green bell peppers and red jelly above was made from fresno peppers.
- This recipe can easily be halved to make a small batch of jelly.
- This is a variation of a Ball recipe, for directions on canning the jelly go to http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/jalapeno-jelly-recipe.