Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
Makes approximately 28 - 2¼ X 2 squares
1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons of sugar
4 packages of 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup pumpkin puree (for roasting directions see below)
2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (to make your own see below)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9 X 13 inch pan with parchment paper, so it will be easier to remove the cheesecake from pan.*
- Mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and sugar. Flatten the graham cracker crumb mixture into the bottom the pan with your fingers or a glass with a flat bottom. Bake graham cracker crust for 7 mins, then remove from oven and let cool.
- Mix cream cheese with sugar until fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time incorporating each one before adding the next. Split half of the batter into the cooled graham cracker crust and spread evenly in the pan. Mix pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice into the remaining batter then spread evenly over cheesecake batter. Tap pan lightly against your countertop to bring any air bubbles to the surface.
- Bake for 50-60 mins, until center jiggles slightly but sides are firm. Leave in oven with door open for 10 mins then remove from oven and cool fully in pan. Once completely cool, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (or overnight) before cutting and serving.
How to Roast a New England Pie Pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash pumpkin, then split in half.
- Scoop out the seeds (save to roast later). I find a grapefruit spoon works really well.
- Place pumpkin halves cut face down on baking sheet and roast until tender enough to pierce skin with a fork. The timing will depend on the size of the pumpkin. A 3 lb 12 oz pumpkin took about 1 hour and 10 mins and made just under 4 cups of puree for me.
- Scoop pumpkin from skin and blend in food processor or immersion blender until smooth.
- If you have the time, I recommend putting the pumpkin puree in a strainer with cheesecloth for at least an hour to remove excess water.
- Freeze any extra puree to use in muffins, soups or sauces.
Cook's Notes and Variations:
- If they are available I roast a sugar pie pumpkin and baby blue hubbard squash and blend them together for the best pumpkin flavor.
I followed these recipes to:
Roast my pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
This recipe is a variation of a recipe I found online at http://roxanashomebaking.com/pumpkin-cheesecake-bars-recipe/