Sausage and Summer Vegetable Pasta Recipe
About 1 lb spicy (no casing) sausage
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Bunch of Hon Tsai Tai, chopped in 2-3 inch pieces
Bunch of Tatsoi, chopped in 1 inch pieces
3 Jimmy Nardello peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped in 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons oil
¾ - 1 lb pasta
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil on the stove. Once boiling, salt water and cook pasta to almost al dente. Reserve a ½ cup of pasta water.
2. Meanwhile heat cast iron skillet on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil and sausage. Brown sausage and break it up into pieces. Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
3. To the still hot skillet add the chopped onion and after a few mins of cooking then add the garlic. After the onion and garlic are both soft, add the thicker stems of the hon tsai tai, tatsoi & peppers. Stir fry the vegetables for a few mins then add the rest of the greens from the hon tsai tai & tatsoi along with the sausage and pasta. Add up to ¼ cup of pasta water to the skillet and cover to finish cooking until pasta is al dente (start with less and add more water if the pan is too dry).
Cook’s Notes and Variations:
- This recipe can be amended in many ways by swapping out the mustard greens & peppers with many other things like:
- broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes
- mushrooms, oil cured black olives and fresh tomatoes
- summer squash and sweet peppers
- Spicy chicken & turkey sausage also work well in this recipe. If you have sausage links, remove the sausage from the casing before cooking.